Hello and hey to the pumpkins that spice up my day a latte! 🎃 FINALLY that opening line actually relates to the post at hand, it was starting to get worrying for a second there 🤣. I hope you’re doing well and having a lovely day or had one depending on what time you’re reading this! 💬 Now…I loVE tO BaKe stUFF. I don’t do it a lot, take that as you will but I love it when I do get around to it (and that doesn’t make it sound like a task at all 😐) so…. 🥁….I’m happy to be here today, and I was also happy to be there the day I made this….. yesterday (This was an infamous last minute blog post because I haven’t been able to get on here to write lately and I knew I wanted to get in a few more autumnal thingamajigs so here we are!). For the record, I normally like to hold onto content before it’s dished out y’know? (And think of puns in the process too 🤣😏🍽️).
I keep thinking this post is about pie, I even went as far as naming it pumpkin pie when it was a draft and after fixing that I put a pie emoji beside bread 🥧😑. Maybe it’s a sign that I should have made that or perhaps I really want pie, either way we’re here today and that’s all that matters… 🤔😂. But seriously tho, if you’ve got pie on your mind too then check out my pumpkin pie recipe. It’s something else! 🙌🤤 And it wasn’t too shabby for a first attempt either if I do say so myself (I’m obviously not one to test out the goods before commiting them to a post, exactly like today! 🤣).
A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted to make pumpkin bread and it took me up until now to finally act on it. I found a recipe on the Food Network website and jumped on it like a car bonnet. I originally chose the recipe because I was intrigued to add in the pumpkin seeds but then at the last minute I chose against doing so as I didn’t want the crunch. I followed the tips on Minimalist Baker to know how to roast a pumpkin without having to scrape out the flesh (that word makes me think of zombies 🤢) and it was soooo good, if you want an easy way of roasting a pumpkin that means all you have to do is peel of the outside like paper and be on your merry way with a recipe then look no further than that site, I promise you! 🤯 I’m glad that worked out as a lot of other recipes used canned pumpkin and I got jealous of it’s silky smoothness as our broken, long gone ghost of a blender would NEVER (I didn’t break it, it’s actually been gone for a while now and we’ve all had are fair share of talking about the good old smoothie days). Anyway, the recipe is good and the bread turned out okay (I’m really selling it there aren’t I? 😂) so let’s just get on with the recipe and the mishaps that ensued along the way!
(the scarcity of amount is what initially drew me in to be honest)
- 280g plain flour
- 200g shredded fresh pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 180ml vegetable oil (we only had sunflower 😶)
- 300g granulated sugar (I used caster sugar 🙄)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Actually, I’ll go through the pumpkin roasting part with you first instead of not at all!
1. I always thought step one was the easiest and that it goes downhill from there (particularly with cakes and lining tins with butter and urgh the mess 🤢) but on this particular day, step one was the hardest. It could have been MORE difficult but I looked up how to roast a pumpkin easily (I’m all for that lifestyle) so all I had to do was chop it up. I tried treating it like a cake and doing neat slices but pumpkins themselves aren’t cakes. This probably wasn’t the best way to go about things as my hands had been playing up the day before with the cold weather so yeah after initially saying it was an easy way of doing things, my sister helped me cut a large pumpkin into segments and then my dad helped me cut those segments in half so four at a time would fit on a tray (He used the knife that I cut my finger with on Halloween day whilst pumpkin carving so that brought back some bad memories 😅🤣). Asking for help, gave me energy to move on with the rest of it!
2. I brushed oil and a sprinkle of salt onto the outer side of the pumpkin slices before realizing I was meant to do it on the actual flesh 😐. I was clearly off to a great start on the ME portion of doing things! I did it the correct way and in an oven preheated at 170°C the tray went for 50 minutes! Good riddance!!….or at least it would have been, but there were more segments of pumpkin loitering around the kitchen wondering what would become of them. When the others came out, my mum prepped the rest and they went in too and will be used on other recipes but for now, the first load of pumpkin that was roasted had to cool, be grated and it was then good to go! 🎃
The real 1. It’s time for the actual recipe! I started with the dry ingredients and if I’m being completely honest with you…I did this whilst the pumpkin was in the oven because I was bored. I got a huge mixing bowl out because I’ve made the mistake of thinking I can get away with using a small bowl before and I’ll never do that again (doesn’t mean you weren’t worth it tho white chocolate & raspberry roulade 😍). I sieved in the plain flour, baking power, baking soda, cinnamon and salt 🧂.
2. Then in a separate bowl the sugar sat quite happily before I approached it adding in the oil, vanilla essence and eggs, mixing like my life depended on it. The pumpkin then got folded in 🎃.
3. I poured the mixture into a lined baking tin and noticed that it was VERY close to the top so we arrived at the very simple decision that another tray would be needed underneath incase an explosion were to occur. Into the oven it went for one hour and fifteen minutes at 170°C (it wasn’t lost on me that I didn’t need to change the dial from before 😂).
4. Next up: The explosion occured and it wasn’t pretty.
what should have been 4. When I took it out of the oven, ready for a photoshoot it dawned on me the pumpkin bread would need a lil touchup beforehand 😅. I left it in the tin for 15 minutes, cut the excess off and removed it from it’s humble abode (it obviously wanted to escape 🤣). My family were already eating at the extra pieces by then so I tried a bit, wary at the amount of sugar that went in (kinda wishing I’d found a sugar-free recipe but I hadn’t thought about it before 🤦🏽♀️) and tried a bit for myself! It tasted cinnamony and quite nice, not sweet at all but here’s another shred of honesty….I didn’t have any more! 🙈 I had to lay down whilst waiting for the pumpkin to cool as my legs HURT and the cold weather is feeding that right now so I wasn’t in the mood to be a risk taker and bring more of that pain back on so I passed 🌧️. Sometimes you gotta know when to say no to yourself and for that choice I ended up having a lovely evening in the end! For the purpose of this post, I’m going by how great everyone told me it was so that better have not been pure kindness! Anyway, the baking experience was very calming and I find that that is what I go for these days when making something, even if I don’t in fact get to devour it afterwards. I get all excited to just mix something in a bowl….and then watch it explode an hour later 🤣.
With the amount of pumpkin we’ve got left to use, I don’t think anyone is going to want to look at it again soon 🤣…but yeah, that’s not exactly the best thing to say about a recipe including it 🤔. In other words that totally relate to that: try out this DELICIOUS recipe!! 😋😂 It wasn’t fully for me but it may be for you! It’s more like a cake with the sugar and no yeast thing that’s going on but I guess pumpkin wouldn’t hold well in a bread dough?? I don’t know, I think I might try that out in the future as I’d love more of a bread-like thing and then I’d actually get to try/enjoy it! 🤣 The next recipe I’m moving onto is pumpkin biscuits, even tho the original recipe is for sweet potato. I wonder if I’ll have better luck with that one!? 😋😂
Anywho! Thank you for reading! 😉 I’m beginning to think this post was more of a funny experience to read about than a recipe. I enjoyed typing it out so maybe this will be the way forward whenever I make something that doesn’t go fully to plan in the future 🍰. Have you ever tried pumpkin bread before? Perhaps you know of any good sugar free recipes? Have you baked anything with pumpkin lately? Let me know in the comments below and I hope you’ve better luck than me in the kitchen! 😂🍞 Have a good weekend! 💛🧡xx