Hey everybody! How are you doing? Ready to drool? (Now that is the weirdest question ever so I apologise 🙌😂) but seriously, if you like banana loaf, you’re gonna salivate so be prepared for that….even weirder. Okay so I know I was going to re-bake that lemon loaf I raved about so as to take you along that process but I didn’t make it again, instead I jumped on a whole new bandwagon of the banana kind!
I wanted something that I could have for breakfast as I’m honestly at a loss going through cupboards in the morning and so I thought I’d do myself a favour. I’ve seen a lot of people making this so there are LOADS of recipes but I decided to go with the same people that I got the lemon loaf from as that turned out well, The Hummingbird Bakery! We’ve had their cookbook for years and it has so many delicious treats in it, can’t help but be compelled to bake something from this beauty of a book 😂
The recipe was straightforward and easy to prepare, in fact my mum has since made four more! (In batches of 2 as my dad loved it so much 😂). Let me tell you how I made it and take you along that foodie journey as bandwagons aren’t a good structure to be baking upon (they’re shaky and all that 😂).
PS before I get into the post I just want to say that there is a glitch going around WordPress at the moment affecting a lot of bloggers where we are not getting alerted to comments anymore, they instead go straight into the pending folder and have to be approved that way so it might take some more time for me to get back to you as I don’t immediately know that you have contacted me but of course I will make it happen so keep those lovely comments rolling in! 😉 (In fact, some comments are making there way into my notifications so it might very well be fixed for me 🙌😄).
And NOW for the recipe! 😂
275g soft brown sugar
200g peeled bananas (mashed)
280g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger (almost said finger 😂)
140g unsalted butter (melted)
A 23x13cm loaf tin (greased & dusted)...I didn’t even measure out the tin I just went for it and it fit but maybe I just got lucky. I also didn’t grease/dust the tin, I just put baking paper in it because it took FOREVER to turn out that lemon loaf before 😂
1. Preheat the oven to 170g (325°F) Gas 3. This is the step that I always forget but my mum has become accustomed to my shortcomings in a sense by automatically doing it for me so yay, there will be a cooked product at the end of this goddamnit! 🙌😂
2. Put the sugar and the eggs in a bowl and beat until incorporated (I didn’t have to do much because we’ve got a mixer tbh 😂). Add the bananas and continue to mix! 🍌 (they should make a mashed banana emoji…
I suppose that might look like puke though 🤢.)
3. Pop in the flour, baking powder, bicarb, cinnamon and ginger before mixing until it’s all combined and looks even worse! Pour in the butter and BEAT IT 💃 *Goes into intense sing mode, tries to stick to Michael Jackson but seeing as this is a foodie situation can’t help but think about “Weird Al” Yankovic’s ‘Eat It’ version* 😂………fun fact: I have Weird Al’s album 😏
4. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth it over with a palette knife. Or at least I wanted to smoothe it over but my mum got in there first 🙄 Isolation be making us impede on other people’s tasks ✋😂
5. Bake in the oven for an hour or until it’s firm + a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean (Mine didn’t so I had to rush to put it back into the oven, luckily it didn’t sink 😌).
6. After that, leave it to cool in the tin before turning it out on a wire rack. Anyone have any tips on how to stop the rack from making indentations on the bottom of the loaf? It really gets to me for some reason 😂 Here are some pics of it! (Three of them look the same but I can notice an ounce of difference that means I can’t possibly leave one out 🙄😂):
And that’s that! *Dusts of hands even though they’re clean* Thank YOU for gracing this post with your presence 😉 (god I can be smarmy 😂). Have you made a banana loaf before? Do you even like bananas? Are you going to make one now? Well not at this particular moment in time but since you’ve read this post?? 😮 Let me know in the comments below and I hope you have a lovely day, take it easy 💕 *struts off into the distance singing The Eagles song…am I safe out there by myself? 😯…You’ll never know so you just have to let me go* 😓 Okay, I’mma leave before things get deep and poetic 😂