Hi everyone! How are you? Yesterday I tried my luck at making pumpkin pie for the first time ever! I have never had pumpkin pie before (actually I think I’ve only ever tried pumpkin in savoury dishes 🙈😂) so I was so excited to make this pie using a recipe from Dunnes! (They don’t have the recipe on their site as I used a catalogue!) This recipe was extremely easy, the hardest part was preparing the pumpkin of course! 😬😂 but it was worth it in the end to finally taste pumpkin as a dessert as it felt very autumnal!
- 100g grated/diced pumpkin
- Knob of butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp cream
- Pinch of ground cinnamon + extra to dust
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 sweet all butter pastry case
- Icing sugar to dust
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C
2. Prepare the pumpkin. My mum and I scooped out the seeds (or pumpkin brains as I couldn’t help but call them 😂) and cut out as much as we could get at!
3. Saute the pumpkin in a pan with the butter for 5 minutes (this took a lot longer for me as I chopped up way more than 100g of pumpkin 🙈😂 do this stage until the pumpkin is not like a load of bricks and is softer 😂). Then mash or blend it! (Make sure it’s cooled down though or you may melt your chosen utensil 😬🙈). If you mash it like I did, don’t think it’s gone wrong if it still has small lumps of pumpkin in it as it will cook down later anyway! 😂).
4. Stir in the caster sugar, spices and cream until combined. Then whisk in the eggs and pour into the pastry case on a baking sheet. At this stage it oddly resembles sick but don’t worry! It doesn’t taste like it…I’m joking I didn’t try it until it was cooked and you shouldn’t either! 😂 Bake it for 15-20 minutes (longer if the mixture has not set).
5. Leave to cool then dust with icing sugar and cinnamon 😋 I tried using a sieve to make it all level out ontop but it just fell where it wanted to regardless so excuse its haphazard appearence, the taste more than makes up for that!
Later my family and I sliced it and had it with whipped cream and it was delicious! 😍 It was my whole families first time trying pumpkin pie and we all love it! (Our minds are transitioning away from only viewing a pumpkin as a savoury food 😂). It has a unique taste thanks to the cinnamon and the only fault I can find is that I would have liked the pastry case to be bigger so it could fit more of the pumpkin puree! (As of now there is some leftover puree so I would love to hear what you would recommend I use it for? I found a recipe for pumpkin bread but it’s not gotten me all excited like this pie did 😂).
Thank you for reading! 😉💗 Do you like pumpkin pie? Have a lovely day!