Hi everyone! I originally got this recipe from the daily mail paper but then I lost the paper 🙄😂 so I zoomed in one of the photos taken throughout the cooking process (my sister took all of the pictures for this post!) and was able to decipher the recipe guidelines 🙌😂 The recipe was for individual steamed puddings, but I decided to make a large one instead! Also, my sister is a coeliac (can’t digest the protein gluten) so I used gluten free flour so she could enjoy it too! Here we go!
350g (12 oz) softened butter, plus extra for greasing
75g (2 3/4 oz) treacle
125g (4 1/2 oz) caster sugar
100g (3 1/2 oz) cocoa powder
350g (12 oz) gluten free self raising flour
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/ fan 170°C/ gas 5.
2. Grease a tin (make sure your tin is secure and doesn’t have a slip through base as the water used for steaming later on might seep into it and we do not want that! 😱) with butter and put in the fridge.
3. Place the treacle , butter, sugar and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl and using a whisk, beat until light and fluffy
4. Add a quarter of the flour and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time (beating well after you’ve added each one), then fold in the remaining flour.
5. Stick the kettle on (or boil up some water on the stove) for the steaming (not for a well deserved cup of tea 🙄😂). I wouldn’t recommend using Tap water as it may not be hot enough and the tray is incredibly heavy to hold with the water in it.
6. Remove the tin from the fridge and pour in the mixture.place the tin in the middle of a deep sided oven tray and pour the boiling hot water into the tray (not the tin! Don’t make that mistake 😂) until it reaches halfway up the sides of the tin.
7. Cover the tray with a large piece of tin foil, folding it over the edges to secure and place in the oven to steam for 30-35 minutes (times may be different as I changed them over from the individual ramekin recipe). My mum put it in the oven for me as it was bloody heavy! If you want to check five minutes early if it is cooked, don’t worry it won’t sink 😂
8. Remove from the oven and carefully lift the tin out of the tray using a towel.
9. Here’s the part I was worried about too. Don’t wait for it to cool down. Tap underneath the tin. Then get a plate and place it over the top of the tin. Flip it over so that the plate is right side up with the tin upside down on top 😌😐 and tap the tin again…(I softly played the drums on it 😂) and then when you are ready, lift the tin off of the plate whilst tapping it…..Go on!…. I’ll go stand in the corner of the room 😂…..🙈🙊
10.…Did it go well? 😬 I hope it did! I know it seems like you’ll never get to enjoy it 😂 but at one point the practical finished and we stuffed our faces 😂 I’m not going to lie…It was fabulous! 😆 I hope you think so too!
Thank you for reading! 😉💗 If you make it let me know how it goes!